What is a NetID?
All faculty, staff, students and guests are assigned a Rutgers unique identifier known as a NetID, comprised of initials and a unique number (e.g. jqs23). In order to access many of the electronic services available to you at Rutgers, you need to activate your Rutgers NetID. Your assigned NetID will appear on the activation screen.
What does NetID and Services Activation do?
- Sets your authentication password
This is the password you will use for most electronic services.
- Allows you to setup your security questions and answers
You can choose to select three questions and answers that will help you reset your password.
- Allows you to select services
You can choose services for which you are eligible, including ScarletApps (Google for Rutgers), or locally provided email and website services.
- Establishes your Rutgers email address
This is the email address to which Rutgers University will send official communications and notices.
- Allows you to choose where you would like your official Rutgers email delivered
You can choose to have your Rutgers email address forwarded to a different account, or you can choose to use a Rutgers provided email service.